Air Traffic Services
The Letové prevádzkové služby Slovenskej republiky štátny podnik (LPS SR, š. p.), a state enterprise, is a provider of Air Traffic Services.
The objectives of the Air Traffic Services (ATS) are to:
- prevent collisions between aircraft;
- prevent collisions between aircraft on the manoeuvring area and obstructions on that area
- expedite and maintain an orderly flow of air traffic;
- provide advice and information useful for the safe and efficient conduct of flights;
- notify appropriate organizations regarding aircraft in need of search and rescue aid, and assist such organizations as required.
The Air Traffic Services comprise of three services:
- The Air Traffic Control Service (ATC)
- The Flight Information Service (FIS)
- The Alerting Service
- The Central Air Traffic Services Reporting Office (CARO)
The Air Traffic Services are provided by the following units:
- Area Control Centre (ACC)
Area Control Centre provides air traffic control service, flight information service and alerting service to controlled flights in Control Area (CTA) Bratislava in order to accomplish the above mentioned objectives. The centre is established at the M.R. Štefánik Airport in Bratislava.
- Approach Control Unit (APP)
Approach Control Unit provides air traffic control service, flight information service and alerting service to controlled flights arriving at, or departing from, one or more aerodromes in order to accomplish the above mentioned objectives. The task of APP is to create the interface between the take off and landing on the one hand and the en-route flight on the other hand. The https://www.lps.sk/administrator/index.php?option=com_content&view=articles#approach control units are established at the following airports: M. R. Štefánik in Bratislava and the Košice Airport.
- Aerodrome Control Tower (TWR)
Aerodrome Control Tower provides aerodrome control service, flight information service and alerting service to aerodrome traffic, i.e. all traffic on the manoeuvring area of an aerodrome and all aircraft flying in the vicinity of an aerodrome, in order to accomplish the above mentioned objectives. Aerodrome control towers are established at the following airports: M. R. Štefánik in Bratislava, Košice, Piešťany, Poprad- Tatry and Žilina. Approach control service is provided by aerodrome control towers at the airports Piešťany, Poprad-Tatry and Žilina.
- Flight Information Centre Bratislava (FIC)
Flight Information Centre Bratislava provides flight information service and alerting service to all flights in uncontrolled airspace. FIC is established at the M.R. Štefánik airport in Bratislava.
- Central Air Traffic Services Reporting Office (CARO) and its units (ARO)
The task of CARO is to create a central entrance point to the environment of air navigation services for their users, especially pilots and aircraft operators. The units receive reports concerning air traffic services and also flight plans - formal requests of the operator or the crew for provision of air traffic services. The flight plans contain all the data (on the aircraft and its equipment, planned route and flight level, flight duration, etc.) necessary for the provision of air traffic services in conformity with relevant standards. ARO units are established at each airport where LPS SR provides services as well as at the Sliač Airport.
Controlled airspace includes:
- Control Zones
- extending upwards from the surface of the earth to a specified altitude
- Terminal Control Areas
- generally extending upwards from a specified altitude to a specified flight level
- Control Area
- extending (outside of TMAs) upwards from the altitude of 8 000 ft or 10 000 ft, to the flight level FL660
FRA Operations FL245 - 660
If there is an intention to conduct flight in controlled airspace, the flight plan shall be submitted and air traffic services clearance has to be obtained.
The air traffic services are provided according to international rules and standards and are used by aircraft overflying, arriving, departing, and also moving on the manoeuvring areas of controlled aerodromes.